How it works
Middle and high school students will complete the “IWitness
on the IWitness website. The Activity challenges them to increase their understanding
of digital and media literacy, deepen their critical thinking, and promote positive
social change in their community and in the world. Teachers will also find that
the activity works in a wide variety of classes and addresses the following standards:
Common Core and ISTE NETS
Teachers review their students' videos using the Judging Criteria and then
identify the video(s) that they wish to nominate for Round 1 Judging.
To learn more about signing up for the Challenge and setting up your IWitness group
or class, go to Getting Started.
- Last day for your students to complete their video is April 28, 2017.
- Teachers nominate videos for Round 1 Judging between 12:00AM PT on April 29, 2017 and 11:59PM PT on May 5, 2017.
- Finalists will be announced on the IWitness website on or around May 23, 2017.
- National winners will be announced on the IWitness website on or around June 13, 2017.
How to get involved
Completion of the Challenge
- Educators enter their students in the Challenge by having them complete the
IWitness Video Challenge Activity.
- The completion period runs from December 13, 2016 through April 28, 2017.
- Students can complete the Activity during that time, but final submissions of the video project must be made no later than April 28, 2017.
Submission and Judging
- Educators will identify the video(s) from their class/group and submit those for Round 1 Judging by May 5, 2017.
- Judging will be done according to the
Judging Score Sheet
provided in the activity
should use that when making their decision).
- Finalists will be notified by IWitness and forwarded to the national judging panel.
Judging will be done according to the
Judging Score Sheet
that is included in the
First prize = $5,000 scholarship
Second prize = $1,000 scholarship
Third prize = $500 scholarship