NO CONTRIBUTION OR PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS MAY 13, 2016 at 11:59PM PACIFIC TIME.
OPEN TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES (EXCLUDING PUERTO RICO, THE U.S. VIRGIN
ISLANDS, AND OTHER COMMONWEALTHS, TERRITORIES AND POSSESSIONS) AND CANADA (EXCLUDING THE PROVINCE OF QUEBEC)
1. SPONSOR: The University of Southern California on behalf of its USC Shoah Foundation – The Institute for Visual History and Education, 650 W 35th St #114, Los Angeles, CA 90089, together with its IWitness website (“Sponsor”).
2. PROGRAM DATES: The “IWitness Video Challenge” (“Challenge”) begins January 13, 2016 at 12:00AM Pacific Time (“PT”), and ends May 13, 2016 at 11:59PM PT. The judging period for the Challenge is between May 14, 2016 and June 2, 2016. Regional Finalists will be announced on the IWitness website on or around June 3, 2016. The national winner will be announced on the IWitness website on or around June 10, 2016.
3. TERMS: By participating in this Challenge, each participant (including the parents and/or legal guardians of any participant who is a Minor as defined below in Section 4) agrees to be bound by the following rules (“Official Rules”) and warrants that his/her participation in the Challenge complies with all requirements set out in these Official Rules.
By participating in this Challenge, each participant (including the parents and/or legal guardians of any participant who is a Minor as defined below in Section 4)
agrees to release, indemnify and hold harmless the University of Southern California including its USC Shoah Foundation – The Institute for Visual History
Motor Co., and any website companies hosting and promoting the Challenge, the respective parent companies, affiliates, auxiliaries, subsidiaries, advertising and
promotion agencies of each, and all of their officers, directors, shareholders, employees, and agents (aforementioned individuals and organizations collectively, the “Challenge Entities”)
from and against any injury, loss, death, damage, action, claim, demand or other liability that may occur from the participant’s participation in this Challenge or from the acceptance, use or misuse of any prize awarded,
or from attendance at any event associated with this Challenge, including any related travel activity.
U.S. law governs this Challenge.
ALL ELIGIBLE SUBMISSIONS MAY BE FEATURED ON THE SPONSOR’S WEB PAGE.
4. ELIGIBILITY: This Challenge is offered only within the 50 United States and the District of Columbia (excluding Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands,
and other commonwealths, territories and possessions) and Canada (excluding the province of Quebec) (the “Eligibility Area”).
VOID OUTSIDE THE ELIGIBILITY AREA, AND WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
There are two (2) categories of participants in the Challenge:
A. “Teachers”, each of whom must be 18 years of age or older, a legal resident of the Eligibility Area, a formal or informal educator, and a registered IWitness user; and
B. “Students”, each of whom must be a legal resident of the Eligibility Area and attend school in grade 5-12.
If a winning Student is under the legal age of majority in his/her jurisdiction of residence (“Minor”) at the time of participation, his/her parent or legal guardian
(“Parent”) must submit a signed release statement declaring that they have read, understood and agree to these Official Rules and that such agreement constitutes
their acceptance of these Official Rules on the Student’s behalf. Release statements will be provided to a Student’s Parent by the applicable Teacher, who will require
the properly completed release statement to be returned prior to submitting an entry on the Student’s behalf.
Employees of the Challenge Entities and members of their immediate families (spouses, parents, children, siblings, and their respective spouses),
including household members are not eligible to participate (whether as a Teacher or as a Student).
The Sponsor reserves the right to verify eligibility qualifications of any participant at any time.
5. HOW TO ENTER: No contribution or purchase is necessary to enter. To prepare for participation in the Challenge,
a Teacher will moderate an IWitness group/class in which each Student will create an original video of four (4) minutes or less using the
IWitness Video Challenge Activity available via http://iwitness.usc.edu/SFI/Activity/Detail.aspx?activityID=1660 (the “Website”).
The Teacher will then judge all videos from his/her IWitness group/class using the Judging Criteria as defined below in Section 7, and submit only the
one (1) highest scoring entry (“Challenge Entry”) via the Educator Dashboard at the Website between 12:00AM PT on January 4, 2016 and 11:59PM PT on May 13, 2016.
Limit one (1) Challenge Entry per IWitness group/class. Entries in excess of this limit will be disqualified.
6. CONDITIONS OF ENTRY: All video submission entries must be four (4) minutes in length or less. Any entry longer than four (4) minutes will be disqualified. Entries must be completed in English, or include English subtitles.
All entries submitted as part of the Challenge shall become the exclusive property of the Sponsor. The submission shall constitute an assignment of the copyright and all other rights of the entry to the Sponsor.
, Students may be asked to certify ownership of or provide releases to use the content in an entry video or provide the written consent of individuals pictured in an entry video. Failure to provide these permissions may result in disqualification.
Specifically, if the video contains any material or elements that are not owned by the Student and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the video, the Student is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the video, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the video in the manner set forth in these Official Rules. If any person appearing in any video is under the age of majority in their state of residence, the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
If Students add music to their video entry from outside IWitness, it is their sole responsibility to respect the copyright rights of others, and to follow the
ethical editing guidelines in the Sponsor’s video, “Editing Basics and Ethics for IWitness Users” (viewable on the Dashboard.)
While some use of copyright protected work may be considered a “fair use” (and not a copyright infringement), determining fair use is complex. A video project may be a fair use in one situation, but not when used in another context. The best way to avoid uncertainty is to use music that is “cleared” or licensed for your intended use. The music the Sponsor has provided within IWitness has been licensed from junedaymusic.com, and we encourage you to use it.
Upon Sponsor’s request, each Student must be prepared to provide, within seven (7) days of notification, a signed release from all persons who appear in the video submitted, and/or from the owner of any material that appears in the video entry, authorizing Sponsor and the Sponsor’s licensees to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the entry in connection with the Challenge and promotion of the Challenge, in any media now or hereafter known. Failure to provide such releases upon request may result in disqualification at any time during the Challenge and selection of an alternate winner.
Challenge Entities assume no responsibility for any computer, telephone, cable, network, satellite, electronic or Internet hardware or software malfunctions, failures, connections, availability, or garbled or jumbled transmissions, or service provider/Internet/website/use net accessibility or availability, traffic congestion, or unauthorized human intervention.
To enter, your computer must accept cookies, or any successor or similar technology (now known or hereafter devised or discovered), which may be used by the Challenge Entities for the purposes of entry tracking.
Entry will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address from which the entry is made. The Sponsor is not responsible
or liable for lost, stolen, mutilated, incomplete, incorrect, delayed, late, interrupted, illegible or misdirected entries.
The entry must not, in the sole and unfettered discretion of the Sponsor, contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content.
Incomplete entries may be declared void.
7. DETERMINATION OF THE WINNERS:
Round 1 Judging: For the purposes of Round 1 judging, Challenge Entries will be divided in to five (5) Regions as follows:
- Region I: (Northeast): CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT, NJ, NY, PA
- Region II: (Midwest): IL, IN, MI, OH, WI, IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD
- Region III: (South): DE, DC, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC, VA, WV, AL, KY, MS, TN, AR, LA, OK, TX
- Region IV (West): AZ, CO, ID, MT, NV, NM, UT, WY, AK, CA, HI, OR, WA
- Region V: Canada (excluding the province of Quebec)
On or by June 3, 2016, the eligible Challenge Entries from each Region will be judged by Sponsor and its affiliates according to the following criteria (the “Judging Criteria”):
- Completion of the IWitness Video Challenge Activity: 5%
- Connection to Testimony: 25%
- Impact of Action Plan: 25%
- Social Impact: 20%
- Student Involvement: 20%
- Video Project Design and Creativity: 5%
Based on the results of Round 1 judging, the two (2) highest scoring Challenge Entries from each of the five (5) Regions will be deemed Regional Finalist Entries, pending verification of eligibility and continued compliance with these Official Rules by the applicable Teacher and Student (and if a Minor, Student’s Parents). Regional Finalist Entry status does not automatically entitle the associated Student and Teacher to claim a prize, however only Regional Finalist Entries will proceed to Round 2 Judging.
Round 2 Judging: On or by June 10, 2016, the ten (10) Regional Finalist Entries will then be judged according to the Judging Criteria by a national panel of judges selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Based on the results of Round 2 judging, the highest scoring Regional Finalist Entry will be deemed the National Winner (“National Winning Entry”), the second highest scoring Regional Finalist Entry will be deemed the National Second Place Winner (“National Second Place Entry”), and the third highest scoring Regional Finalist Entry will be deemed the National Third Place Winner (“National Third Place Entry”), all pending verification of eligibility and continued compliance with these Official Rules by the applicable Teacher and Student (and if a Minor, Student’s Parents).
The decisions of Sponsor and judges are final. Odds of winning depend on the relative skill of the applicable Students. In the event of a tie at any level, the tie will be broken based on the highest “Impact of Action Plan” score.
The Sponsor will notify the Teacher associated with each winning entry via the email address provided by the Teacher on the sign up form. Failure to provide an accurate, working email account through which the Sponsor can contact you will disqualify you from receiving a prize.
Where permitted by law, the Student associated with each winning entry (and in the case of a Minor, his/her Parent) agrees to grant and assigns to the Sponsor and the Sponsor’s Affiliates, licensees and auxiliaries, the right to print, publish, broadcast and use, worldwide, in any media now known or hereafter developed, including but not limited to the world wide web, at any time or times, the Winner’s name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness and biographical information as news or information and for advertising and promotional purposes without additional consideration; and further without such additional compensation, appear for, or provide biographical information for use in, any presentation or
other activity which may include filming/audio/video/electronic or other recordings and/or interviews as may be determined by the Sponsor.
Failure to make such appearances or grant such rights may result in disqualification, in which case the next highest scoring applicable entry would be deemed the winner, pending verification and continued compliance with these Official Rules by the applicable Student, Teacher, (and if a Minor, Student’s Parents). While not obligated to do so, the Sponsor may in its sole discretion bear such reasonable costs and expenses for a Winner or potential Winner(s) to appear for a presentation or other activity.
- The Student who created the National Winning Entry will receive a US$5,000 scholarship awarded in the form of a check provided by Prize Provider Ford Motor Company.
- The Student who created the National Second Place Entry will receive a US$1,000 scholarship awarded in the form of a check provided by Prize Provider Ford Motor Company.
- The Student who created the National Third Place Entry will receive a US$500 scholarship awarded in the form of a check provided by Prize Provider Ford Motor Company.
- The Teacher associated with the National Winning Entry will receive a US$1,000 grant awarded in the form of a check, provided by Prize Provider Ford Motor Company, to be used to implement change in his/her classroom.
- The school or organization which hosted the IWitness group/class associated with the National Winning Entry will receive a US$2,500 grant awarded in the form of a check, from Prize Provider Ford Motor Company, to be used to implement change in their community.
Any taxes on a prize are the sole responsibility of the applicable prize recipient. Sponsor reserves the right to withhold any portion of a prize deemed necessary for compliance with tax withholding requirements, and to forward such portion to the applicable taxing authority on behalf of a winner. No substitution or transfer of prizes is permitted, except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. Prize Provider
is not a sponsor or administrator of this Challenge and is not responsible for development, execution or enforcement of the Challenge terms and requirements.
9. RIGHT TO CANCEL OR SUSPEND CHALLENGE: The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to: cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Challenge or any portion thereof should viruses, bugs or other causes beyond the control of Sponsor corrupt the administration, security or proper play of the Challenge; limit entries to those submitted prior to the action taken; or to proceed in such a manner as may be deemed fair and equitable by the Sponsor in its sole discretion.
10. GENERAL CONDITIONS: Potential Regional Finalist participants and potential prize recipients will be required to sign and return, within seven (7) days of notification, any applicable documents sent by the Sponsor related to the Challenge, which may include but are not limited to a letter of prize acceptance, an IRS W-9 form or similar tax document, waiver of liability, an affidavit of eligibility and, where legally permissible, a publicity release, warranty of ownership and license in which the Student warrants that he/she is the owner of the video entry (and all the intellectual property rights in the video entry submitted) and grants to Sponsor the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide non-exclusive license to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the entry (along with a name credit) in connection with the Challenge and promotion of the Challenge without additional compensation. For the purposes of these Official Rules, the Teacher will be deemed to be in receipt of the Sponsor’s request or notification on the day that the email was sent by the Sponsor.
FAILURE TO TIMELY RESPOND ACCORDING TO THE TERMS HEREIN, NONCOMPLIANCE OR, RETURN OF WINNER NOTIFICATION AS UNDELIVERABLE MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION AND SELECTION OF AN ALTERNATE POTENTIAL WINNING ENTRY.
By accepting a prize, the prize recipients agree to release and hold harmless the Challenge Entities and Prize Provider from and against any and all liability including injuries, losses, claims, causes of action or damage of any kind to person, including death, and property arising whole or in part, directly or
indirectly, from acceptance, possession, use or misuse of a prize, participation in any Challenge-related activity, or participation in this Challenge.
Nothing herein shall grant in any Student, Teacher or any other individual any right, title or interest in the names, logos or other marks of the Challenge Entities. Students, Teachers, and other idividuals shall not use the name, logos or marks of the Sponsor in any public communication, except as contemplated herein, without the express written permission of Sponsor.
IN NO EVENT WILL THE CHALLENGE ENTITIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE INTERNET WEBSITE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE CHALLENGE, OR THE DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING OF MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM SAID SITE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING ON THIS SITE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS, OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
The Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Challenge or web site; to be in violation of the Terms of Service of the Sponsor’s web site; to be acting in violation of the Official Rules; or to be acting in a non-sportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. Entries using robotic, automatic, macro, programmed, or other like entry methods will be voided.
Multiple Teachers are not permitted to share an email address. In the event of a dispute as to entries submitted by multiple users having the same email account, the authorized subscriber of the email account used to enter the Challenge at the actual time of the entry will be deemed to be the Teacher and must comply with these Official Rules. The authorized account subscriber is deemed to be the natural person who is assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization, which is responsible for assigning email addresses, or the domain associated with the submitted email address.
11. COLLECTION OF INFORMATION: Teachers and Students (and if a minor, a Student’s Parents) agree that personal data, especially name and email address, may be processed, shared, and otherwise used for the purposes and within the context of the Challenge and any other purposes outlined in these Official Rules. The data may also be used by the Sponsor in order to verify the participant’s identity or to otherwise verify the participant’s eligibility to participate in the Challenge.
Challenge Entities will not sell, rent or otherwise transfer this information to any third party, nor will the Sponsor use this information for marketing purposes, other than as outlined in “Conditions of Entry” and “Determination of the Winner”, without your consent.
As stated above, the Challenge is not open to Minors without the express consent of a parent or legal guardian. Challenge Entries are to be submitted online by an eligible Teacher only.
12. DISPUTES: As a condition of participating in this Challenge, Teachers and Students (and if a minor, a Student’s Parents) agree that any and all disputes which cannot be resolved and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Challenge, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively, before a court located in Los Angeles, California, USA having competent jurisdiction, which Court shall apply the laws of California, USA without regards for doctrines of Conflict of Law. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will a participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, indirect, incidental, consequential, or any other damages, including attorney’s fees, other than
participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e., costs associated with entering this Challenge), and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased. The requirements of this section are void where prohibited by law. Further, if any provision of these Official Rules is found to be unlawful, void or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed severable from these Official Rules and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.
13. WINNERS’ LIST: A list of winners will be available online at http://iwitness.usc.edu/SFI/iwitnesschallenge/ after June 10, 2016. Or send an email requesting the information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the words “IWitness Video Challenge Winners” in the subject line.
©2016 USC Shoah Foundation – The Institute for Visual History and Education and IWitness. All rights reserved.